Tuesday, April 29, 2014

TV & Film and How It Exposed Me to The Greek Life

Big SisterFashionista here sharing how I was introduced to Greek organizations. Growing up in the 80's was not as advanced as it is today. There was no internet. All you had was TV, radio, movies and books/magazines for entertainment. I can remember several TV shows and movies that depicted Greek life.

My first time seeing sororities was on the movie School Daze. Being a little kid I didn't know what a sorority or fraternity even was. All I knew is they both could dance their asses off, they were in cliques and wore corresponding outfits and colors with funny letters on them. LMAO. I also loved watching A Different World and that's where I found out that it was much more to dancing, wearing the same clothes and repping a crew. I found out thanks to everybody's big sister in the 80's Lisa Bonet as Denise Huxtable. Playing her role in The Cosby Show and transitioning into a college student on the spin off A Different World, I learned that sorority and fraternity life came from going to college and getting educated. A Different World showed the world that historical black colleges and Greeks really do exist.

By the 90's and the millennium there were all kinds of TV shows that spotlighted Greek life. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (love me some Will Smith, I'm doing the Carlton dance just thinking about it. LOL). Then you had my ghetto girls on The Parkers. (How ya mama gonna be in the same sorority as you? I'm just saying, Ghetto Fabulous.) Then you had my girls from the West Coast, like me doing their little thing on Beverly Hills 90210. Also you had Saved by the Bell, which I loved watching.

Movies that also enlighted me were Higher Learning. (Omar Epps use to be my boo. Hell and Ice Cube. LOL) Legally Blonde. (OMG like I totally love this movie. Team Reese Witherspoon) Drumline starring Mr. Mariah Carey, with his cute lil ass. Then you had hilarious movies like one of my favorites, Road Trip! Another hilarious movie is Sorority Boys. Sororites are not just what you see on TV. I've learned from my sisters the beautiful Pi Delta Pi's that it's much more. I am thankful that I have found my sisters that inspire me, uplift me and bring me joy everday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment